Previously worked at:
Cleaners and Allied Independent Workers Union
Bail Observation Project
2 Hare Court
Six Pump Court
Three Crowns LLP
Legal work experience
Volunteer Union Representative
Cleaners and Allied Independent Workers Union | Dec 19 - Now
- Volunteer union representative for the Cleaners and Allied Workers Union.
- Secured substantial judgment for unpaid wages in the Employment Tribunal, praised for tenacious representation by the tribunal judge.
- Secured substantial settlement for employee dismissed for gross misconduct, drafted COT3 terms for employer and employee.
- Managed eight disciplinary cases independently, liaising with senior colleagues to ensure the best strategy when responding to employer decisions.
- Drafted appeal letters and made submissions in disciplinary hearings based on the application of the Employment Rights Act 1996 and ACAS guidance.
- Took minutes of proceedings in disciplinary meetings and created presentation copies of these minutes on Microsoft Word. Adhered to statutory deadlines to ensure that appeals were not made out-of-time. Uploaded all minutes, appeals, and correspondence to the case-management software ‘Clio’ in order to enable colleagues at CAIWU to easily access the relevant documents.
- Currently advising 15 employees facing redundancy. Working on disciplinary cases involving a range of matters including allegations of sexual assault, and protected disclosures.
Three Crowns LLP | Jun 19 - Jun 21
Undertook paralegal tasks for Three Crowns LLP, specialist arbitration firm.
Including transcript errata of international arbitral proceedings.
Keating Chambers | Nov 20 - Nov 20
Drafted opinion applying the Construction Act 1998, Scheme for Construction Contracts, to a fictional scenario regarding validity of decision made by an adjudicator. This task concerned issues of natural justice, jurisdiction, and validity of enforcement; closely mirroring the type of work undertaken in practice.
Freelance Legal Researcher
Publica | Sep 20 - Sep 20
- Produced a 3,000 word report for the urban design practice ‘Publica’ on different models of Employee Ownership available in UK law. Met the needs of the CEO by combining tax models with real-world examples in order to demonstrate the flexibility available in Employee Ownership. Focused on the three dominant models, laying out both the strategic and tax advantages of each model.
2 Hare Court | May 19 - May 20
- Drafted a letter to the Secretary of State appealing the denial of security clearance to a civil servant. Researched the ‘HMG Personnel Security Controls’ and applied them to the facts of the matter. This letter was well-received by Jonathan Rees QC.
Bail Observation Project | Nov 19 - Mar 20
- Contributor to the 2020 report from the Bail Observation Project on immigration bail hearings. Completed reports on 12 immigration bail hearings at Taylor House Tribunal Centre.
- Focused my notes on the presence and quality of interpreters, the presentation of the Home Office case, and the fairness of judges.
Six Pump Court | Feb 20 - Feb 20
- Conducted research on the Petroleum Act 1998 and the moot point concerning where, and at which point, petroleum is ‘got’ from the ground for which there is no definitive authority. Applied my research to a dispute between a licensee and a landowner.
Ely Place | Jan 20 - Jan 20
- Made contributions to a skeleton argument based on research of the relevant authorities for non-party costs orders, including the borderline case of Jas Financial Products LLP v Icap Plc.
- Attended Reading Employment Tribunal and East London Employment Tribunal. Observed cases focused on age discrimination sex discrimination respectively.
Other work experience
PDG Properties | Mar 19 - Nov 20
- Project manager on delivery of a £400,000 domestic conversion project for PDG Properties.
- Managed the architect and contractors, and liaised with utilities companies. I adjusted my communication style to different stakeholders to ensure the project was finished on time.
- Financial administration: documented expenditure using Excel in order to ensure the project remained on target and within budget. Kept track of the budget with reference to a pre-agreed schedule of works.
- Oversaw the application of and compliance with VAT regulations. Researched reduced-rate VAT regulations using the government site and explained them orally to the contractor.
Paragon Press | Feb 17 - Jan 19
- Attended trade fairs globally, forming relationships with high-net-worth clients which led to further business for the company.
- Commissioned and developed a new digital archive system of over 200 artworks. I had a fixed budget and short deadline. Liaised with 3 photographers to ensure the project came in on target. Designed the archive in collaboration with a programme developer. Managed colleagues in data input. Negotiated with an image library to license reproductions of the images.
- Organised logistics for art fairs from inception to delivery; this included framing, shipping, insurance, and time-sensitive temporary export licenses.
- Independently managed the private art collection of the director, this involved giving advice and drafting appraisals for purchases. Oversaw loans to public collections and ensured all works were insured.
Bolton & Quinn | May 13 - Feb 15
- Compiled press reports of all international and domestic press, which were then presented to clients.
- Twice travelled to the Venice Biennale where I worked in the press office. This was a high pressure environment where I imaginatively met the demands of journalists, donors, collectors and museum curators. Demonstrated a responsive and respectful style of communication as I was often working with VIPs.
CitySprint | Sep 11 - May 14
- Throughout university worked as a medical push bike courier where I gained experience of the ‘gig’ economy.
- Delivered medical supplies to public and private hospitals, clinics and doctors surgeries. Managed my own workload and worked under time pressure to deliver as many parcels as possible because I was paid per package.
Index on Censorship | Jul 10 - Jul 10
- Contributed articles to the website focusing on pressures placed upon free speech in Central Asia. Supported permanent members of staff in sub-editing and copy checking for the forthcoming edition of the magazine.
City, University of London | Sep 19 - Jul 20
BPP | Sep 20 - Sep 22
Middle Temple | Sep 21 - Sep 22
Non Legal education
History of Art MA
Courtauld Institute of Art | Sep 15 - Aug 16
History of Art BA
UCL | Sep 11 - Jul 14
Westminster School | Jul 11 - Jul 11