How to record a great Flex profile video
Your Flex profile is your key to unlocking a world of interim legal opportunities that work around you. When Flex puts you forwards for opportunities, your profile is sent directly to our clients for them to check over. The single best way to increase your chances of being selected by these clients is to record a really good quality profile video!
Here are our top tips on how to do this:
Set the scene
Let’s start with the basics. Unless you’ve got a really high-end film camera, you’ll likely be filming your profile video using your phone. This is perfectly fine, as long as you follow a few basic rules:
- Film the video in landscape mode, not portrait.
- Make sure the camera is steady and stable. It should be placed at eye level on a sturdy surface.
- Sit in front of a window for that nice natural light. If you can’t do this, try shining a small light onto your face.
- If possible, make sure you’ve got a nice backdrop behind you.
- Make sure you’ve minimised any background noise as much as you can.
- If you have a microphone, use it!
Write the script
Before starting the video, have a think about what you’re going to say. It might even help to write a short script. There’s no explicitly right or wrong way to do this, so just do what feels natural to you and gives you the best result. We’ve included an example video here to give you a good idea of what you should be aiming for.
Here’s a basic structure to get you started:
- Introduce yourself: "Hi, my name is …”
- Talk about your education: "I studied Law at … University"
- Mention any particular skills or past experiences you have: "I have experience in …” / “I am, particularly skilled in …”
- Conclude by saying what you’re looking for "I am looking for paralegal roles in London"
- Introduce yourself: “Hi, my name is….”
- Talk about your qualification: “I qualified in ... at \[Law firm\]”
- Mention any key post-qualification experience that you have: “I am a specialised … Lawyer and have worked on ...”
- Conclude by saying what you’re looking for “I am looking for … roles in …”
It’s important to remember that the best videos are short and sweet. There’s no need to overly complicate things! Just keep things simple, and make sure your video isn’t more than 60 seconds long.
Practice, publish and go!
Don’t just settle for the first attempt! Try it a few times until you feel you get a good take that you’d be happy to show to a potential employer. Remember - nobody likes watching videos of themselves, so consider showing the video to a friend or family member to get a second opinion.
Once you’re happy with the final version, simply upload the video to your profile via the documents tab on your profile.
The Flex Legal team can then check over and approve your video. You can also change your video at any time in case you fancy updating it or giving it a second go.
- 5 ways to update your Flex Legal Profile - keeping the rest of your profile up to date is really important for securing roles. Here are 5 ways you can update your profile for good results.
- Paralegal FAQs -got questions about being a Flex paralegal? No problem! We’ve probably covered them in our FAQs, so make sure you give them a look.
- Lawyer FAQs - want to know more about life as a Flex lawyer? Just take a look at our FAQs to get the scoop on some recurring questions.