May 21 2018
5 Tips for a successful Training Contract Application
Tips & Tricks
1) Choose WiselyApplying for a training contract is a daunting process and you’ll be spending at least two years at the firm that you secure a training contract with, so make sure that you are applying to the right firm for you. What size of firm would suit you best, what areas of law are you interested in and do you want to work abroad one day; these are all things that you should be thinking hard about and researching.
2) Be OrganisedOnce you know which firms you want to apply to, you need to work out what their application process is. Each firm is likely to have a unique process and a different set of deadlines, so make sure you know when any application forms are due. Once you know the deadlines, work backwards to give yourself enough time to write a standout application form. Applications are time consuming so be prepared to give up some weekends for them. It will be worth it!
3) Tailor Your ApplicationYour application should be really well researched and tailored to that particular firm. Copying and pasting the same answers for all of your applications won’t work. Firms intentionally ask slightly different questions so if you are using the same stock answers it is likely you are not answering that particular firm’s question properly.
4) Be YourselfIf you get through to interview your application is going to form the basis of that interview so there is absolutely no point in writing an application which isn’t true to you. You could be asked about anything on your application so think hard about what you are including and why and be prepared to justify your answers at interview!
5) ProofreadAttention to detail is really important to lawyers. For some firms any spelling mistakes, grammatical or formatting errors will mean your application will be unsuccessful so make sure you proofread your applications multiple times. A second pair of eyes is always a good idea so ask your friends, parents or particularly nice tutors to sense check your applications. Don’t trust spellcheck!
- The Flex Legal guide to Training Contract success. We sat down with 3 of the Flex Legal bookings team to get their thoughts and input on how to secure your training contract. If you’re in the process of applying, or will be applying soon, you need to read this!
- 10 essential tips to ace assessment centres. Submitting your training contract application is one thing, but nailing a law firm assessment centre is another. Make sure you know what you’re in for, and prepare for the biggest challenge of your legal journey so far.